C Programming Overview
C is a structured programming language developed by Dennis Ritchie in 1973 at AT & T’s (American Telephone and Telegraphs) Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, New Jersey, USA in 1972.
In the late 70’s, C started replacing other familiar languages that are used at that time like PL/I, ALGOL, etc.
It is the most popular structured programming language because of its features such as: high-level abstraction, machine independent etc. Initially, this language was developed to write the UNIX Operating System afterwards it is used for coding and developing new languages, Operating System. This programming language strongly associated with UNIX, which one of the well accepted is networking Operating System frequently using nowadays. It became the heart of internet data superhighway.
History of C Programming Language:
The C language evolution starts from three different languages ALGOL, BCPL, and B Language. C uses many concepts of these languages along with some new and developed concept that are more user-friendly such as data types, pointers, struct etc. The language was formalized by American National Standard Institute (ANSI). In 1990, International Standard Organization (ISO) approved this and that version of C is also referred to as C89.
1. C is robust language that contains a rich set of built-in functions, libraries and operators that are used for writing complex to complex code.
2. The C compiler combines the capabilities of an assembly language along with high-level language.
3. Because of powerful operator and different types of data type, C language is quite fast and efficient.
4. C is a portable language and machine independent (Once code is written, it can be executed on any platform, hence platform independent).
5. The powerful feature of C language is extensibility.
6. Nowadays, by using C language, most of the operating systems and embedded system are developed.
7. It supports the concept of pointers and recursion.
8. Having a huge amount of libraries, it has strong memory management.
9. C includes the concept of Array, Pointers, Structure, Union.
Getting Started with C:
To establish communication with a computer involves the speaking the languages that computer understands, which immediately rules out English as the language of communication with computer.
However, there is a close analogy between learning English language and learning C language. Learning C language is similar and easier. Instead of straight-away learning that is how to write C programs, we must have basic understanding about what alphabets, numbers and special symbols are used in C, and then it comes on how using they, constants, variables and keywords are constructed, and finally how these are combined to form an instruction. A group of instructions would be combined later on to form a program and a group of program is used for making software.
Steps in learning C language:
A Character denotes any alphabets, digits or special Symbol used to represents information.
//Write a program to print “Hello World”